Build Your Own
Spring Class Schedule & Fees
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. — $30 per person. Promo Codes Apply
Saturday 12 noon to 2pm, and 3:30 to 5:30pm. — $30 per person. Promo Codes DO NOT apply to Saturday classes.
Plan to arrive a bit early if you need to find parking.
For a limited time our class fees have been reduced to just $30 per person and $25 of this lower fee is still given back to each student as credit toward whatever terrarium is selected for planting.
Take advantage of this special offer by planning to plant the big, beautiful terrarium you really want — one with a larger variety of plants, stones, mosses and gravels.
Although our smallest terrariums begin at just $25 (for a Mason Jar terrarium), the most popular terrariums in our retail shop run $85 to $149. After you apply your $25 credit (and the additional discounts we offer on our larger terrariums), you will own only $60 to $99 at the end of the class. That still includes our "No-Fault Warranty" on your planting and our FREE maintenance for as long as you own your terrarium. Now you can safely invest in planting your own truly extraordinary terrarium, and we will back you up.
Click the "Book Now" button above to select the date and time for your class. It's quick and easy.
Promotional Site Instructions:
Promotional Sites are a great way to raise awareness of our little shop in our community. But we have learned a thing or two over the last two years, and we have had to change our offers several times. This has caused some confusion for those who have been slow to redeem their earlier purchases. But even if your voucher has already expired, we are still willing to accept you into our weekday classes at full value. So, here are our instructions to our two different categories of promo-code customers.
1. Click the "Book Now" button above to select your preferred date and time for the class.
Please note that all our Promo Codes apply only to our WEEKDAY CLASSES and NOT to our Saturday Classes. The Promo Coded field will not appear on Saturdays.
2. If you have purchased seats in our terrarium classes through one of our CURRENT marketing offers (i.e. AFTER April 2nd, 2017), add the specific Promo Code provided on your voucher to the Promo Code Field.
3. If however, you have purchased any of our EARLIER marketing offers (i.e. Those offered PRIOR to April 2nd, 2017), please enter the NAME OF THE COMPANY you purchased your earlier offer from into the Promo Code field.
4. In both cases this code will reduce your tuition fees to $0 and allow you to add your name to that class at no additional charge. Add your full name, phone number and email address to the fields provided and click on "Complete Your Booking."
5. If, after doing this, you have any problems, please call us at 503-734-9996 and we will complete your registration over the phone.
6. Please Note: You must bring your voucher to your class to be redeemed. Failure to do so may stop your admission. Thank you for your patience with this learning process.
Did you know our classes are now the most popular "true, closed, terrarium" classes in the world?
It's true. Our survey of terrarium shops in all the major cities across the U.S. and around the world reveal that Roosevelt's Terrariums offers more actual classes per week, with more actual attendance in each class, than any other terrarium shop in the world. Why is that?
In part it is because this is Oregon where people love the wonders of nature and love doing things for themselves. Portland especially is a city of "makers." We love DIY activities. And, terrariums offer a great DIY experience.
Another reason our classes are so popular is because here at Roosevelt's Terrariums we teach you how to plant a TRUE TERRARIUM; a WET, SCIENCE-BASED, LOW-MAINTENANCE terrarium. Not a wide open glass planter, with nothing but a succulent or an air plant, but a closed, self-perpetuating, tropical ecosystem. In other words, A TRUE TERRARIUM WITH A LID. Because, as we say around here;
Another reason our classes are so popular is because we begin each class with a brief history, then an explanation of the basic science, a presentation of the proven principles of terrarium design and finally, clear instructions on terrarium care and maintenance. That way, you, and your friends, end up with beautiful terrariums that will thrive for many, many years. And we guarantee it.
Our No Fault Guarantee
In fact, we back up your terrarium planting with the same no-fault warranty that we offer for our own plantings. You cant fail with our terrariums, because we won't let you fail.
Three Additional Advantages of Becoming a Roosevelt's Terrarium Class Alumnus:
1. As an alumnus you will receive a 10% discount off any purchases yiou make from our shop within the next 14 days. (So come add that poison dart frog or crystal.)
2. As an alumnus you may plant additional terrariums in our shop at our planting tables during regular store hours and pay only for what you choose to plant (Note: a $35 minimum applies)
3. As an alumnus you may also attend the same terrarium classes again, as often as you like, free of charge, when you bring along a paying friend. And, you will only be asked to pay for whatever you plant at the terrarium class-time discounted rates.
So, becoming an alumnus is like joining a terrarium club, and "Membership has it's privileges."
Make a Date of It
Our terrarium classes make a great activity for your next “Girls (or Guys) Night Out.” It can be your next “Date Night,” whether it be a “Honey Date,” a “Daddy Date,” a “Mommy Date” or a good old-fashioned "Date Date." No matter how you choose to do it, you'll get to go home with beautiful terrariums that you planted yourself.
Sip, Snack & Plant
BYOB: You are always welcome to bring along your favorite wine, cheese & crackers to sip & snack on while you plant your terrarium. This can make the class all the more enjoyable for you and your friends. You are also welcome to enjoy a gourmet root beer from our shop cooler "on the house" when you arrive.
Our Great Wall of Glassware
"Guidelines" for Our Classes:
• Each student will have a $25 credit toward any terrarium package they choose. This may be applied to our smallest $25 terrariums at no additional charge, or it may be applied to any larger, more extraordinary packages. Students will only pay the difference at the end of their class.
* It is no secret that we participate in various "2 for 1" promotional offers on other marketing platforms such as Facebook, Yelp, Groupon and Living Social. These special offers are intended to attract new customers. However, we do not mind so much if our current customers make use of these offers, provided you apply your savings toward upgrading your terrarium package. All our students enjoy the same class benefits, including the $25 credit toward their terrarium purchase. We are happy to honor all our commitments, but we do hope our customers understand that our only means of generating any profit from these special offers is when our students choose to plant a nicer terrarium package. Thank you for understanding and helping us keep on doing what we love.
* PLEASE NOTE: If you have purchased seats in our classes through one of our outside marketing offers, please click the "Book Now" button above to select your date and time. Then, simply add the voucher code or promo code to the promo code field provided. That will apply your payment and add you to our class at no additional charge. Call us at 503-734-9996 if you have any problems or questions.
* In order to receive our No-Fault Terrarium Warranty, all class materials must be provided by Roosevelt's Terrariums. In order to avoid contamination from pests and plant diseases, our students may NOT bring in their own terrarium containers, plants or other items for use during our classes.
* Introducing outside plants and other materials to your terrarium after class may void your terrarium warranty. Please ask us first before adding anything new to your terrarium.
* Our Poison Dart Frogs may only be added to terrariums of a larger size in circumference. This is in order to provide the frogs with adequate oxygen and ample room to roam around.
* Our $25 credits may not be combined for one terrarium. However, on our largest terrariums, (i.e those over $175 retail, our in-class prices are often at least $50 off retail, making them as good or better than a "double credit."
* Classroom space does not normally allow for friends or family members to attend the class without also registering to plant their own terrarium. Please call ahead to ask for permission before hand.
* Students may re-schedule their class reservations with 48 hours notice without penalty. Failure to provide such early notification may result in the forfeiture of class fees.
* All materials prices and discounts are subject to change without notice as materials availability change. Specific terrarium packages and glassware are offered in each class only on a "while supplies last" basis and on a "first come, first serve" basis. Whenever a particular item is no longer available, a similar size and quality of container will be offered at the same price or less, whenever possible.
* Roosevelt's Terrariums may cancel or re-schedule any class at any time without notice as emergency circumstances may require. In such cases, all students will be either rescheduled to another class or a full refund will be issued.
Our terrarium classes are not only a great DIY opportunity. They also offer a great opportunity to do something fun and interesting together with people you enjoy being with.
Wedding Party "Center Piece" Terrarium Planting Classes
Calling all brides to be! Here is an idea that really can work for everyone, brides, bridesmaids and wedding guests.
Give your brides maids (and, for that matter, your groomsmen. Guys enjoy planting terrariums too!) a fun wedding party activity before the wedding that ALSO produces beautiful table center pieces for your wedding reception during the wedding (at no additional cost!) AND provides wonderful thank-you gifts to send home with your wedding party members after the wedding (again, at no additional cost!). Its, win, win, win!
The fun is amazing. The savings are phenomenal, and the quality is so much higher than anything else you could buy. (Oh, and by the way, if you are the Father of the Bride who is paying for the wedding, you are NOT being cheap. You're just being smart. Don't worry, there will be plenty of other ways yfor you to spend all the money you save with this activity. And the bride and groom will love you for it.)
BTW, our regular terrarium planting classes also make a great bonding experience for all your out-of town relatives and guest, young and old, to enjoy together while they are visiting Portland before and after the wedding.
A minimum of 8 (up to a maximum of 30) members must preregister together in order to book a Private Wedding Party Class.
A non-refundable deposit of 50% is required to reserve the time and date of your Wedding Party Class.
Wedding Party Classes are normally offered on weekdays from 11am to 1pm, or from 2:30 to 4:30pm.
The Registration Fee of $99 per person will include a $99 (retail value) terrarium package. However, the host and guests may opt larger upgrades if they like (e.g. an extra $50 will cover a complete $149 (retail value) terrarium package.)
Wedding Party hosts are welcome to bring their own wine, cheese and fruit plates to serve their group.
Though many of our terrariums can be taken home by airplane as a "carry on," some out-of-town students may prefer to donate their terrarium to a local school through our "Free Terrariums for Science Classrooms" program.
Call 503-734-9996 to book your Wedding Party terrarium class.
Private Organizational Team Building Classes
Our terrarium classes make great bonding experiences for any team of co-workers.
Registration for Private Classes is set to a sliding scale:
Groups of 8 to 15 attendees pay $60 per person.
Groups of 16 to 23 attendees pay $45 per person.
Groups of 24 to 32 attendees pay $30 per person.
All members receive our standard $25 credit toward whatever they choose to plant. Other outside promotional discounts do not apply to private parties. A non-refundable deposit of $240 is required to reserve the time and date. Full payment for the Private Party package and any upgrades must be received in full by the end of the party.
Team Building Workshops are normally offered on Tuesday through Friday mornings and afternoons from 11:30am to 1:30pm am or from 3 to 5pm.
The host may prepay for one of our standard team building party upgrades (e.g. an extra $89 per person will cover a complete $125 terrarium package for each group member to plant.)
Private party hosts may bring their own beer, wine, cheese, crackers and fruit plates to serve their group. Soft drinks will be provided free of charge by Roosevelt's Terrariums.
Call 503-734-9996 to book your Team Building terrarium class.
Happy Birthday to You!
Our Private Birthday Parties are always a hit, whether you are five or a hundred and five. And these parties are very versatile. They can adapt to fit the host's preferences. They may also be used to "pool the generosity" of friends and family to underwrite the costs of doing something really special together for the birthday guy or girl.
Registration fees for our Private Birthday Party Classes begin at $49 per attendee, with the entire fee being applied to planting a $49 terrarium package. This terrarium package may be selected ahead of time by the party host for his or her guests, or selected by the attendees themselves during the class. Hosts may upgrade to larger and nicer packages as they choose (Our most popular packages for adults run between $65 to $89 extra, with ALL of these fees applied directly to the larger terrarium packages).
Hosts are free to cover these terrarium class fees as a gift to their birthday party attendees, or, they may pass these fees on to each attendee to cover whatever part they choose as a contribution of support for the birthday event. (e.g. This is similar to what is commonly done with theme-park party entrance fees.).
Hosts may also choose to establish a Gift Card Fund for upgrading the birthday guy or girl's terrarium package ahead of the party. Attendees simply call Roosevelt's to donate to the fund and the final gift card is then presented ceremoniously during the birthday party.
Additional upgrades may be permitted onsite during the actual party by each guest. Parents & other guardians are welcome to plant their own terrarium along with their child during the birthday party and simply pay for whatever they choose to plant.
A non-refundable deposit of $200 is required to reserve the party time and date. Full payment for the selected Private Birthday Party package must be received in full one week prior to the birthday party.
Private Birthday Party Classes are normally offered on weekdays from 11:30 am to 1:30pm and from 3 to 5pm and also on Saturday mornings from 8:30 to 10:30am.
Hosts are welcome to bring their own birthday cake, cup cakes and soft drinks for their guests. For adults, wine, cheese and crackers may also be brought and served by the host.